Outer Banks (OBX)

Jeep on the Beach

 8/23 - 8/26/01


4X4 ICON 2000 - 2008 The DVD! - Click here for details!

4X4 ICON 2000 - 2008 The DVD!



After a long summer, punctuated by several off-road trips, but mostly dedicated to hard work, it seemed like time to get away from home for more than a few hours.  Since Maria loves the beach but never gets to go, that seemed like a good destination.  My friend Hugh had gone down to the Outer Banks with his family and recommended it highly.  In addition to the promise of lots of beaches, he related that there are great opportunities to drive on the beach in areas where it is specifically permitted.


So it was that we left late Thursday evening and drove south for about six hours and landed at the hotel in the wee hours of the morning.  Concerns about the now-wide-awake kids were soon put to rest after a modified rendition of our usual bedtime routine (bath, books, bed), but it was still very early in the morning on Friday before we went to sleep.

Maria got up later on Friday morning and went out to the beach to see what she could see.  I woke up when she returned and we got the kids up for breakfast.  When we arrived earlier that morning, I had found Hugh's Jeep in the parking lot and left him a note on the windshield.  He was planning to leave that day and I did not expect to do much more than say hello and perhaps get a couple "way points" to plug into the GPS for later investigation.

During breakfast at the hotel restaurant, Mindy strolled up to our table and said "Hello", and we soon learned that they would be staying for most of the day after all.  So we finished up breakfast, loaded the Jeep and drove about 15 miles to the first place where vehicles can enter the beach.  I was capably assisted with airing down tasks by Teddy, who will be four in a few days.   He took the job of removing and replacing the valve stem cap, directing traffic around us, and maintaining a running banter.  Then we slipped into the ruts and made our way to the shore.


It has been many years since I last went on the beach with a vehicle.  Way back when I worked for E. B. Luce Corporation, I joined Barry Berggren and Larry McDonald on an outing on Cape Cod.  Barry had a CJ and Larry had a Land Cruiser, if I remember correctly.  I was amazed by the ability of the vehicles to travel in the soft sand and was reminded again of that long-ago trip when we started driving along the shore this time.  I also remember going to Cape Cod with my CJ-2A in the hope of going on the beach.  But I soon learned that conventional snow tires do not air down and "balloon" well so that trip ended without any "sand time".

Long and Provencher JeepsLong and Provencher JeepsTom with the Hugh and Long and Provencher Jeeps
Kids on the BeachKids on the BeachMindy, Maria, and HughShea LongTom on the BeachTom on the Beach

This time out, I was rewarded for my 6-hour road trip with what seemed like almost endless sand and sea.  We drove along for several minutes, around to where a bridge spans Oregon Inlet, and where a number of other people had driven out to do some surf fishing.  There was a trickle of water that ran in and was host to a school of small fishes.  The kids had a great time chasing the fish around.  They also discovered an abundance of hermit crabs and spent some time harassing them as well.  And of course we all waded in the water.  

Tom and the SeaTed, Tom and MindyTed and MindyTed and MindySheaBeach Chairs
The BeachThe BeachThe BeachThe BeachThe Beach - Shea

After a while we headed back the way we came, and claimed a spot on the beach, parked the Jeeps and unloaded for the afternoon.  This is when I was reminded of one aspect of the beach that I could live without...  The sand that finds its way into everything you own...  This would haunt me well past the time when we returned home.  Anyone who goes to the beach in a vehicle already knows this, but I suggest leaving precision instruments that you care about AT HOME!  That includes pretty Jeeps and expensive cameras...

'58 Willys'58 Willys'58 Willys'58 Willys'58 Willys'58 Willys
'58 Willys'58 Willys'58 Willys

Somewhere along the way we passed a 1958 Jeep Station Wagon parked on the sand with two men fishing.  I could not resist taking a look at this crusty old beast and spent a few minutes talking with the owner and his buddy.  He converted it to a Ford 289 V-8 and put some Dune Diggers on white spokes.  It was not registered but used only for beach fishing so...  He commented that he liked it the way it was (crispy around the edges and lots of surface rust where the paint had worn off) because it "beats taking a $25,000.00 like yours out here".  And he is, of course, right about that.  Sand is the enemy.  Salt is even worse.  And both are found in abundance on the beach.

The water was warm (mid-'70's) and the waves were just big enough to do some childish body surfing without getting hurt.  More sand in places I may never get it out of (my ear tubes!)  I spent almost an hour just floating about and talking with Hugh while the kids played in the sand and near the edge of the water.  They haven't had much beach time and are still a little timid.  We shall have to work on that!  Once everything was adequately coated in sand, and skin was starting to get pink, we packed up and headed out for dinner.  We stopped at a gas station and aired up.  It was pretty close to the beach so it seemed worth saving the time it would have taken with my compressor.  I would later learn there might be other reasons that was a good choice...

On the way down we had noticed a billboard that said something to the effect of "I got my crabs from Dirty Dicks" (sorry - that's what it says) and sure enough, there was a seafood restaurant called "Dirty Dicks".  I have to admit that the billboard got me.  We rewarded their questionable taste in marketing slogans by going there for dinner.  The crabs were so-so and the rest of the food and service was OK.  Not a cheap bill, but nothing down here was cheap.

After dinner, Hugh, Mindy and Shea hit the road for home (ugh) and we went shopping at K-Mart and Wal*Mart.  As Maria would say, "We drove all the way to North Carolina to go shopping at Wal*Mart?"...  What can I say?  I have to hunt for new cars for my columns, and something irresistible always lures me to these stores no matter how far away from home I may be.  We once went to an incredible K-Mart in Cuernevaca, Mexico, but that, of course, is a story for another day.

We finally got the kids into bed then crashed and burned.  The next morning, we split up for a little while so that Maria and the kids could go to the beach in front of the hotel, and I could go check out the 8 way points that Hugh had given me for beach entrances for vehicles.  Long story short, I drove a little ways down the main drag and soon realized that the entrances were between 15 and 100 miles away...  So I did a U-turn and went back to the hotel.  It took me a couple minutes to find Maria and the kids on the beach but we reconnected and had lunch, then hit the road down to the second way point that Hugh had given me.  Again, Teddy made airing down a joy, and we made our way in to the beach.

This time we were met with a series of "whoop-de-doo's" that Tomi got a big kick out of.  We drove for quite a ways in then turned around and started back.  Maria wanted to make some video of me driving the Jeep on the beach so she got out and started taping.  When I got close to where she was, she tried to step back out of the way, got tripped up in the ruts and went head over heels onto the ground, camera still running.  So we have a nice segment of video tape that now looks like I ran her down and left her for dead!

Jeep on the BeachJeep on the BeachTed and Maria on the BeachJeep on the BeachJeep and Tom on the Beach
Kids and Maria on the BeachMaria on the BeachTed on the BeachTed on the Beach
Ted on the BeachTed and Maria on the BeachTom on the BeachTed and Jeep on the Beach
Kids on the BeachKids on the Beach
The BeachThe BeachThe BeachThe Beach

Again, we parked the Jeep and unpacked for a while.  More sand in places it should not go.  We stopped by a place where the surf washed in and got trapped, making for a shallow, warm pool.  After some coaxing, the kids were happy to play in it but still would not go near the surf, even with me carrying them on my shoulders.  In all fairness, the waves were very bad, the shore patrol had posted swimming warnings ("not recommended") and it was obvious that going in the water was not going to be much fun.  So we had to make do with running along the shore, playing in the wash, and stuff like that.

After a while, we packed up again.  When we reached pavement, I decided to air up using my compressor.   It took it down from it's storage location, plugged it in, and started airing up the first tire.  The compressor ran for about 2 minutes and then quit.  Well when I first got it, it had blown a fuse in the Jeep right away so I checked that.  Sure enough it was a blown fuse.  Well three fuses later (and with several still in reserve) I decided that this was not going to work.  So we drove along into a little town and got air there.  Now I had to get my nearly new (and only used once) compressor fixed or replaced.  I would later exchange it for another at K-Mart, with Teddy berating the counter clerk with echoes of my earlier sentiments...

Waiting for FerryJeep Roof from Ferry LoungeFerryTed burning caloriesJeep Roof from Ferry Lounge

So we headed down the coast to the ferry that takes cars back and forth to Ocracoke Island.  It was a long ride but the scenery was interesting so it went fast.  The ferry ride was pleasant and only lasted about 40 minutes.  I wandered around taking pictures, brought the kids on deck to look around, and let them hang out in the "passenger lounge" up in the center of the ship below the bridge.  They were wild and consumed most of Maria's energy disobeying orders...  Finally we docked and disembarked.  We headed towards town with a view toward getting something to eat.

Jeep TugJeep TugJeep TugJeep TugJeep TugJeep Tug

Along the way we encountered a Honda Civic parked in the dune on the side of the road.  Stuck would be a more apt description.  Two recent college graduates were fumbling with a board in a vain attempt to get unstuck.  I swung around and offered to help them.  It was a simple matter of locating the tow loop that all Hondas have, putting a D-Ring on with my strap attached, then a gentle tug and they were back on pavement.  I moved off the pavement into the dune to get out of the road.  Once I had everything put away, I tried to drive off and found that I was stuck.  I aired down.  It was a little better, but still no-go.  It took me a few minutes to realize that maybe 4-Wheel-Drive would be useful...?  What a dolt am I.

So once I got that engaged, we drove out without problems.  But of course, not before someone in a Land Rover stopped to offer assistance...  How poetic.  Sheesh.  Anyway, we got out (of course we did) and drove to the edge of town where we grabbed a bite at a local pizza joint.  I checked for an air hose and found one a couple doors down at a convenience store.  I stayed aired down and we made tracks to a beach access point not documented on Hugh's list of way points.  This one had a regular hard-pack dirt road that led out to the beach, where the track resorted to soft sand mixed with drifted sand over hard sand.  

Jeep on the Beach with Maria and KidsJeep on the Beach with Maria and Kids
Ted and Tom
Ted, Maria and TomSunset at OcracokeTed, Paul and Tom
SteerageOcracoke at Sunset

It was dusk when we arrived and nearly dark when we left.  It was almost dreamlike.  Once it got dark we began our return to the entrance, greatly assisted by the GPS since our tracks had been obscured.  It was like flying by instruments - I just followed back the track displayed on the unit and easily found the hard dirt road.  I guess we would have found our way out anyway, but this just made life a little easier, and made our choices certain.

We scurried back to town to air up, and then to the ferry landing, but found ourselves four cars too late for the ferry that would leave in 10 minutes, forcing us to wait for an hour to catch the next one.  I took this time to make some time exposures of the area and the Jeep.  The temperature had cooled and a breeze had come up.  But it was very nice to sit there and relax, even though it would have been nice to get off the island sooner.

The ferry ride was uneventful.  We were loaded into the front of the ship and got to watch the passage through the rail and scattered passengers who had left their cars.  I watched the GPS and enjoyed knowing what was coming next at every turn.  The kids had fallen asleep shortly after we left the beach and slept all the way home.  It was a long ride, and even Maria fell asleep.  Along the way, someone "out there" came on the CB wanting to talk, looking for a radio check.  He turned out to be about 5 miles away, down on the beach near Oregon Inlet, where we had been on Friday.  As I went over the bridge that crosses that section, he flashed a light and we made a distant connection.  It's a funny thing, knowing that you are talking to someone "way down there", and even though most of this technology is pretty old hat, it's still amazing when you see it in these terms.  Maria just thinks I'm turning into a redneck.  Oh well...

The kids went to sleep pretty well when we got back to the hotel.  The next day was your basic pack and leave routine, with the long ride home from the beach.  We were gradually surrounded by more and more traffic.  By the time we reached I95, it was pretty bad.  At one point before we left the highway, Teddy could not hold it any longer so I dropped it into 4WD and climbed the side of the road so that we would be well off the highway while he did his business in the woods.  I suppose my driving must have seemed a little antisocial but last year a whole family was wiped out by some idiot who hit their car parked in the breakdown lane, waiting for their son who was taking a pee.  I do not want to become a statistic like that.  Anyone who would have hit us during this pit stop would have to have gone WAY out of their way!

We hopped off at Exit 133 and took Route 17 north to 28 and then wove our way around the back roads traveling due north to Leesburg, where we detoured to Wal*Mart (for diapers) and then to Whites Ferry, and homeward.  When I got home I discovered that one of the items loaded on the roof rack had not been secured - a duffel bag with sand toys - and had miraculously not blown off!  I have no idea how it stayed on there because it is very light and should have disappeared as soon as we hit 40 m.p.h.  Go figure.

It was a nice vacation, with some off-road time.  If you don't mind a little sand in your shorts (and everywhere else), you owe it to yourself to get a couple days free and go down for a ride on the beach.  Any stock Jeep will do...

Somewhere along the way, I picked up a Jolly Roger sticker for my steering box skid plate.  I didn't install it for quite a while!

Jolly Roger

Return to Off-Road Index

Shop for Jeep Toys and Books | See the Toy Jeeps




Outer Banks (OBX) GPS Data

Update 1/5/2008:  GPS Data now provided in GPX format for easy transfer to your GPS!

Purchase GPS Waypoint data and access to topographic maps of this trail using Pay Pal!

Pay me securely with any major credit card through PayPal!

GPS Waypoint data is now available for a moderate fee ($10.00 U.S.).

This contribution allows us to maintain this web site, collect and maintain GPS waypoint data, and periodically verify its accuracy.  All GPS Waypoints have been verified in the field.

If you would like to purchase the coordinates for this trail, simply complete the two questions below and click "Buy Now" to pay for your purchase using Pay Pal.

For a free sample of how our GPS data is presented to our customers, click here.

How did you hear about us?
Are you planning a trip on this trail?
(Outer Banks OBX)

IMPORTANT - After you pay with PayPal be sure to click the orange button shown circled below from the PayPal Payment confirmation Screen to go to the GPS Data you purchased!


Click or the [ BACK ] button on your browser to return to the previous page.

Photos, Layout and Design 2001-2008 Paul M. Provencher All Rights Reserved.
Contents of this Web Site may not be used without written permission

Hit Counter visits since 7/23/01

Last Updated 02/09/2008 11:27:12 AM -0500